Also known as Text Message Marketing, SMS marketing is an emerging trend where businesses and organizations promote their brands using text messages not exceeding 160 characters.
According to JookSMS a SMS marketing involves business owners and management teams sending coupons, promotions, alerts, and specials to their target customers.
Permission for SMS Marketing
Businesses and organizations must first request permission from customers to send them marketing text messages. Customers can give their authorization through an online opt-in service or contest entries. Some creative businesses go as far as sending a targeted keyword to a shortcode.
However, text message marketing is not always authorized. Sometimes the marketers just decide to randomly interrupt potential customers. Although this practice is quite irritating, it has been adopted by many mainstream advertisers where they force promotional messages on people. They do this with the hope that a significant number of people end up buying the product. The good part is that a first-time recipient can easily unsubscribe themselves from future such messages.
How Businesses Can Gain from SMS Marketing
The tool helps businesses have access to a big customer base. By working with mobile service providers, advertisers can have an entire region or country within their arm’s length. Mass communication of this nature has the potential of reaching more clients than any other audiovisual means of communication. Why is that so? For the simple fact that mobile phones are owned by most people, unlike radios, televisions, and computers.
SMS marketing allows the marketer to reach a specific group of people who are more likely to buy their product. If you are targeting the urban population, for example, you can only send text messages to people living in the cities. Marketers are also able to design the message in a way that will be better understood by the targeted group of people.
This mass communication tool is trackable and instant. As soon as the device beeps, the message is home! The feedback the marketer receives after sending the message will tell them whether the strategy is working or not. They can then modify their message to get the desired feedback.
SMS marketing has different results in the different market fields. One cannot just use this tool in any field. But truth be told, those fields which have used text message marketing effectively have gained more than those that don’t. Some of the benefits include:
- Making customers stay within their market loop, updating them of new developments as they happen.
- The marketer can develop a stronger connection with their targeted customers. Customer feedback is particularly important for the connection to develop into a healthy business relationship.
- It is a perfect tool that helps you identify loyal customers and reward them accordingly. SMS marketing also enables you to create new customers every day.
- One text message can reach many people since people can easily share the message with their friends and family.
SMS marketing is the next big thing in the world of marketing. For two reasons.
- It has been established that the average redemption rate for a coupon is 20%.
- An average person looks at their cellphone more than 100 times in a single day.